Thursday, October 23, 2008

I've Been Published!

No, not my current novel. That would be a three exclamation point title!

This is, interestingly enough, something I never set out to publish. It's my first query, which I submitted to Jessica Faust in her pitch critique and which I received, if I may be so humble, rave reviews about.

Jessica's critiques caught the eye of Philip Martin, editor of The New Writer's Handbook, and he asked if he could include her advice about writing query pitches, and my submission as an example of how to write a pitch. How cool is that?!

The New Writer's Handbook is a terrific resource for writers, one of those books that can sit on the desk and be reached for over and over until the binding is worn loose and the cover worn thin. Here is the official write-up:


The New Writer’s Handbook, Vol. 2 is an all-new collection of articles (now in bookstores) to refresh and upgrade any writer's skills, with tons of advice on craft and career development. It delivers an eclectic mix of expert how-tos, stimulating pieces on creativity and professional issues, and broad encouragement for aspiring and experienced writers alike.

The 60-plus articles are chosen from best pieces of advice published mostly in the previous year in books, magazines, and online. Contributors include Tess Gerritsen, Lois Lowry, Ira Glass, and many other bestselling and award-winning authors, plus leading journalists, writing teachers, editors, agents, and literary bloggers.

In an inexpensive paperback edition, it serves up an annual professional-development seminar. For more info, visit www.scarlettapress.com.

The editor, Philip Martin (Milwaukee) directs Great Lakes Literary (www.greatlakeslit.com), and LitWave marketing for writers (www.LitWave.org). He is an award-winning independent writer, editor, and publishing consultant. For more, visit his blog at http://writershandbook.wordpress.com.


The query I wrote for this was for my first novel, the one which this blog is named after, which has since been shelved for the time being. This entry in the handbook may not be a novel, or a short story, or something I can even proudly point to in my new query letter as a publishing credit, but still, it's my writing. And it's darn good at that.

4 comments:

  1. It counts! That's awesome! And it was an ass kickin query. You're good with the suspense. Leave 'em hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!

    How fantastic!!! I never got to read it...care to post it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, click on the link at the beginning "pitch critique". It's the pitch under my name. :)

    If I end up getting an agent on this book, I planned on posting the query. Maybe I'll do the other one too.

    The problem with it was that I think it came across as a mystery or a thriller, maybe even a romance, and it wasn't that at all. I think the agents who read the partials found out it wasn't what they expected it to be, and the agents that would have liked the book thought it wasn't right from the query.

    I keep thinking about going back to that book. It was a great query! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fantastic book (yours, I mean). I can't believe your query is going to be published. That's so awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete