Friday, April 18, 2008

Out of the Smoke

It's still Friday, but barely. The kids are tucked in bed and I am sitting next to the fire in our backyard enjoying a beautiful clear night, serenaded by some very loud toads, a few crickets, the popping of the logs and a chorus of dogs in the distance, one to my east, one to the west, and one to the north, barking in what I can only imagine is a very intense dialogue about how annoying the frogs and crickets are now that spring is upon us.

We had a great dinner outside... a first for us in this house, and it was no small feat considering we own no patio furniture and had to move chairs and tables along with all the food stuff down two flights of stairs and into the backyard. But it was well worth it.

That fire in the back is where we cooked our s'mores. And where, in the complete dark, I am sitting now. Smelling like smoke. All the stress of the week seeping out of me. This week's episode of Survivor waiting for me. It doesn't get much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment