Friday, June 13, 2008

It's Friday; It's a Good Thing

I am off this week to New York City. It's a family trip, and not a publishing one, but all the same I'm packing my red stilettos and my completed manuscript, just in case!

Things this week I am thankful for:

1. Electricity and running water. I used to think it would be really cool to live in the past, when life was simpler and more basic. Then lightening struck and I realized modern luxuries, like a flushing toilet and fridge that keeps the milk cold, are very, very good things.

2. Quiet time. Okay, I haven't had any of that this week, which makes me realize how much I need it. Trying to squeeze in writing time or reading time or even sorting-the-papers-that-are-invading-and-taking-over-the-counter time is hard. The only quiet time I get now is after 11:30, and frankly, though this used to be my favorite time to write, I'm really bushed by that time.

3. The Pool. It's 105 degrees. The water is like ice. Enough said.

4. Compliments. Encouragement. A very good friend, struggling a bit in life these days, wrote a heartfelt email and ended with this: You are the lighthouse in the storm of my life. I think of these words everywhere I go. Could anyone say anything better?

Go, all you, and find someone you love and say something amazing to them. Not something you say all the time. Not a generic "I love you," unless you've never said it. (In that case, it is the most powerful thing you could say!) Go say something they will think of for days to come when they are down, that they are not expecting, that will let them know that at least for a moment, to one person, they have made a difference.

And now, I'm off to NYC. I'll post photos from my most awesome new camera as I can.

4 comments:

  1. Have a great time on vacation. Find some time to just enjoy your family. Go on a date with your hubby. And find some time just to be quiet.

    You make a difference everyday in the life of your family...and when you take the time to be poured into by your Father - you become (not do, but become) the Mom and Wife and Writer that your family and the world needs.

    I came across a book, that as a writer and someone who really wants to understand her life from God's perspective I would highly recommend. In fact, its my new #1 life changer book...and I really do think you'd like it. It's called, The Return of the Prodigal Son, by Henri Nouwen. More about that on my blog if your interested, along with a 20 minute video clip of him speaking about being "the beloved child of God". Seriously awesome stuff.

    Alrighty then, I'll be praying for you. Meet God's spirit on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how God speaks to me when I write, through the story and the characters. It's not the same things as having a Bible study kind of quiet time, but He speaks to me in the writing as well, which I find incredible. I am discovering a lot about faith in Him, and how He works in trials through the characters who have to deal with that as well.

    As my formal Bible studies have stopped for the summer, I do need to find the time to make sure I can hear God. That becomes increasingly difficult with the kids home all day, and probably all the more important because of that!

    I will look up the book when I get home from NY. I'll check out your blog again too. You are writing a lot these days! It sounds like your schooling is going great, even if dreadfully hot. I love how even in the least desirable situations, you find ways to make yourself and others laugh! God gave you such a positive, exuberant spirit, and now He is using it to the fullest!

    Have a great trip in CA. I'll pray the weather cools and God meets you in a special place as you seek Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful, wonderful time in NY!! Kiss the kids for me, and stalk some agents! ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red stilettos are hard to walk in. I think you'll have to take a lot of cabs.

    Not that I'd know...

    If I ever have to go to NYC I'll have to take a babysitter with me because I'll be lost, lost, lost!

    Looking forward to the report!

    ReplyDelete