Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's Not You, It's Me...

I took a photography class several weeks ago in which I had a conversation with the instructor about cameras and vacations. She told me that she used to love photography, but once she started making it her job – lugging her camera around for portrait sessions and weddings – she stopped taking her camera on vacations. Every time she pulled out her camera, she said, it felt like a job.

So this woman who takes the most amazing photos I've ever seen, carries her iphone to DisneyWorld for her family vacations.

I don't feel this way about my computer exactly. I love my computer. I'm addicted to the internet and blogs and writing. I love the sound of the clicking of the keyboard.

But I do realize that every time I pull it out, my family thinks I'm at my job. And in a sense, I suppose, they're right.

So I'm taking a break for the next week. I'm breaking from the computer and internet to spend uninterrupted time with my family, to go to some amazing places, eat some good food I don't have to cook or clean up after, to enjoy summer, to find quality time with my camera, to try some new things.

No book. No blogging. No twitter. No facebook updates.

Just me, my family, and some time off.

I'll see you back next week.

If I make it out from under the pile of stacked up emails!  :)

10 comments:

  1. A break way from the computer is a good thing, always. I hope you'll have the best of time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time! And enjoy taking pictures just because you love to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be published, but I suppose it's the no-deadlines, no-expectations time NOW that is least like a job. So I guess I should enjoy it. Have a good vacation away from your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great vacation. I think that's a good idea for everyone once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time, H! I thought I would be able to take an internet break, but discovered I could pick up wireless at our cabin and ...here I am on line at 12:30 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time away from the computer is always a good thing, especially if that time is spent with the family. Sometimes I forget there's a thing called "outdoors" and always enjoy it when I reacquaint myself with it.

    I hope you enjoyed your family time. You'll feel refreshed and ready to go again after the break.

    ReplyDelete