Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Comments in the Margins

Have I mentioned that one of the things I love most about my editor is that she writes all kinds of good things in the margins as well as the things she wants me to change? It's amazing, really. It's like this constant reminder that even though it needs a little work here and there, on the whole, it's still good.

So today I received a new section of my book from my editor to revise, and this is the first comment in the margins:

Heidi, I have the darndest time editing your work. I get so caught up in the story (and why’s that? I’ve read it already!), and this marvelous character you’ve created, and I just slip into your world and right outta my editing one. Takes me 3 passes over your stuff before I’m sure I’ve stayed aware enough to do a proper job.

I don't think it gets any better than that for me.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Heidi! Congratulations!! Both on getting published and those awesome comments. It's so nice to hear that you have a great editor and what a compliment in the margins!! RIGHT ON!

    I wish you the best success on this book and many more in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi - thanks! you'd think the fact that they want to publish it should be enough encouragement, but when you see the document all marked up in red, it's nice to be reminded they still think it's good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best comment ever. You should frame that and hang it over your writing space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's totally awesome. I think that kind of reminder is enough to keep anyone motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am officially stealing your editor. No seriously, she sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is incredible. Makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an incredible compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul - what a great idea! I need a big bulletin board, I think. Having stuff like this in a file is great, but it's too easy to forget about it!

    patti - it really does make me eager to open the files she sends me. Otherwise I might be dreading them!

    Christy - she really is great. i don't have anything else to compare to, but I'm certainly not unhappy!

    Jessie - I can't wait for you to read it either!

    Natalie - thanks! I hope I get that kind of reaction from readers, too!

    ReplyDelete